Choosing the lighting for your home can be a daunting task, but one that should be taken with careful consideration. An essential part of your home decor, choosing the perfect lighting will enhance your space with little effort. Instantly improving or changing the atmosphere of your home, lighting is also a great way to highlight key interior features. Brightening up your home couldn’t be easier with our helpful guide, putting the spotlight on everything you need to know..
Whether you’re looking to create a cosy setting or the illusion of a brighter living space, each room will require different types of lighting to achieve a particular mood or atmosphere. Layering a mixture of lighting styles in your space will add depth and texture to your home, the three different styles to consider are…
- Ambient lighting is the most general form, mimicking the effects of natural light. It creates a relaxing setting, radiating enough light to fill the room without being too specific.
- Task lighting provides a bright fixed positioning of light, helping you perform certain duties such as reading, cooking or studying.
- Accent lighting is used to highlight an interior feature such as statement artwork or attractive fireplace, mostly through the use of wall mounted light fixtures or spotlights.
With every room that you decorate each will have different lighting needs that call on different shapes and styles to both compliment and brighten your home. With comfort, style and functionality being our top priorities, lets discuss what lighting will be needed where:
- A living room is where the family come together to spend quality time, from watching films to playing board games, the room will need a layering system of lighting. The main focal point of lighting will be a ceiling light to project practical everyday illumination, whether you opt for a stylish pendant light or add a dramatic statement with a chandelier, don’t be afraid to branch out with your lighting fixtures to work with your decor tastes. Task lighting is not to be overlooked, for reading purposes choose floor lamps that can add focus lighting, however make sure to weigh up the size and shape in consideration to the room.
- Spotlights are the ideal option for the kitchen, they offer a bright focus on work surface areas. In the dining room, have a play around with low rise pendants hanging over the table. Keep the lighting focus on the table, however create a soft back drop in the room with subtle wall lighting.
- Create a warm and welcoming atmosphere in your hallway with a statement pendant piece for general lighting, then layer a lower level of lighting with table lamps. If your hallway is narrow then wall lights are the ideal space-saving option, reflect the light with mirrors and give the illusion of a bigger space.
- Bedside lighting should be your first consideration for the bedroom, choose a stylish option to dress the room, mixing and matching shades and bases to create your own unique look. Also make sure that the light is no higher than your eye level and pick the same lamps on either side of the bed to create a symmetrical look. For a central lighting, choose a ceiling light with a dimmer switch to create a warm glow come evening.
Lighting Trends and Tips
Brush up your lighting know-how with our expert advice from the Laura Ashley lighting buyer Shona:
- Ceramics are a big trend for the next season, our Hascombe Artichoke Lamp base is an interesting yet classic shape, that can be used with a natural shade or something a little more fun with our made to order drum shade in Thistlewood Truffle, as seen above.
- This season we have added more lighting accessories to the Laura Ashley range, such as the rose gold Chantilly faceted stacked glass flex. Our ceiling fixture Sienna gives an elegant touch to a home that may no longer have original period features and also provides a sophisticated edge to any standard ceiling pendants.
- Our decorative Ockley glass pendant offers a more contemporary feel for a bespoke look. As seen in the trends for A/W14, by hanging the glass lights low over your dining tables it will create a fresh modern look and cosy atmosphere. Don’t be afraid to hang the Ockley in multiples for a statement cluster of lights!
- One of our best selling lights, our Marina Jar lamp invites you to store your favourite treasures inside and add lots of your character to your interior.
- Embrace the autumnal hues this season by updating your home with our extensive shade collection, for a pop of colour both apple and cyclamen are these seasons big hits! For a more unique look, our Made-To-Order handmade shade collection features a variety of shapes and sizes, available in over 100 fabrics.
For more information on bulb types and our nifty energy saving tips, read the Laura Ashley website lighting guide here.
Browse the extensive range of Laura Ashley lighting here.